We are committed to enhancing self-regulation capacity in children, youth, and the adults that support them, by offering learning and engagement with Take 5! Self-Reg Asset-Building.
A future in which children, youth, and adults can THRIVE, encouraged and supported to grow into their potential and live their purpose ... even when life brings experiences of adversity and trauma.
What We Offer
The Take 5! Institute offers professional development and capacity-building support for professionals that work with children, youth and families, including classroom teachers, educational assistants, counselors and administrators, SEL (social emotional learning) coordinators, child and youth workers, mental health professionals, and social service providers, as well as those supporting youth who are engaged with the justice system.
We have developed a range of practical resources to help you launch and sustain self-reg asset-building activities in organizational and community settings.
- Take 5! for Trauma: This day-long workshop explores Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and other trauma triggers through the lens of self-regulation and self-reg asset-building. Kids and adults who have experienced trauma often have self-reg challenges, with negative impacts on learning, physical and mental wellness, the ability to form healthy relationships, and lifelong development. Self-reg skill-building helps to address the sensory, emotional, mental and behavioral challenges that often show up when trauma is part of the picture. This is a hands-on workshop for educators and other professionals that support children and youth, with lots of practical take-aways.
- Pro-D Learning: A professional development curriculum, delivered through in-service training sessions, for educators and other practitioners that support children and youth in diverse settings.
- Starter Kit: Take 5! Starter Kit for elementary and middle school educators, with many practical tools and activities for classroom use. This is a printed take-away for participants in a one-day introductory training.
- Pro-D Training Handbook: A comprehensive Training Handbook that supports professional development learning, with a deeper dive into the theoretical and practice foundations that inform the Take 5! approach. This is essential learning for professionals who will go on to play a mentoring role with their colleagues.
- Practices Supplement: An extensive Practices Supplement offering additional capacity-building resources and practical hands-on tools.
- Coaching and Mentoring: Ongoing learning & support, in-service and online.
Funding Support for Take 5!
We gratefully acknowledge seed funding from the Human Data Commons Foundation, a Canadian non-profit organization that sees the value in applying the principles of self regulation and social-emotional learning within the technological sector.